work in progress for the Facebook patch

I am writing this to describe work in progress for the Facebook patch.
Comments are welcome. In the future we hope to get parts of the
Facebook patch into public forks. We have two big projects in
progress:
* admission control
* InnoDB compression for OLTP

---

Admission control enforces max concurrent queries per account. MySQL
already limits max concurrent connections per account, but we want to
set the connection limit to a much larger value than the query limit.
The limit will be enforced at statement start and will allow queries
to timeout in the queue while waiting to run. By "descheduled" I mean
that a connection decrements the count of concurrent queries for a
particular account. Connections will be descheduled when:
* a statement ends
* a connection is about to send results back to a client -- only when
the socket write is to be done, not when data is buffered
* srv_suspend_mysql_thread is called on a row lock wait
* possibly when a disk read is done within innodb
* when enter_cond is called

By "scheduled" I mean that a connection increments the count of
concurrent queries for an account. If done with "noforce" then the
caller will wait until this doesn't exceed concurrency limits for the
account. If done with "force" then this doesn't wait and can exceed
the concurrency limits. Schedule with noforce is done:
* at statement start
* after a socket write

Schedule with force is done:
* when exit_cond is called
* when a thread wakes after calling srv_suspend_mysql_thread

This change will allow us to run with higher values for max concurrent
connections and we assume that will significantly increase mutex
contention on kernel_mutex so we have begun to evaluate:
* using the pthread mutex implementation that does not spin in more cases
* limit the max number of threads that can do concurrent busy-wait
loops for InnoDB's mutex and rw-lock
* removing use of the sync array within InnoDB
* changing Innodb to wake one rather than all waiters when a mutex is unlocked
* somehow making read_view_open_now faster

---

InnoDB compression for OLTP tries to make compression faster for OLTP
workloads. We have work in progress to change InnoDB to not log page
images for many but not all insert/update/delete operations. When
InnoDB compression is used, InnoDB can log page images. That was not
done before and for my production workloads this doubles the rate at
which IO is done to the transaction log and increases the dirty page
write rate by at least 20% because checkpoint IO must be done sooner.

We previously added an option that allows the LZ compression level to
be set globally. I think the default is level 6.

We will evaluate:
* using QuickLZ which provides faster compression and decompression than zlib
* adding compress_ops and compress_ops_ok per table to
information_schema.table_statistics
* adding an option to limit compression to the clustered index and not
compress secondary indexes

--
Mark Callaghan
mdcallag@xxxxxxxxx