Re: Bundle more relevant cnf files in MariaDB package

Hi Haidong

On 12/03/2011, at 7:56 AM, Haidong Ji wrote:
I alluded to this in IRC maybe a couple of weeks back. That is, it is
really to have intelligent default for MariaDB servers.

there already is a baseline my.cnf which is installed by the DEB (Debian/Ubuntu) packages.
You'll find it in the debian build subdirs.

It can
a) be updated with more parameters
b) also be put into RPM, tarball and other builds.

I would recommend not redoing it from scratch, as a number of practical issues have to be considered for this kind of default config, and reinventing the wheel there is just not necessary. Simply extend what's already there!

In particular, the bundled sample my.cnf files, under
/usr/local/mysql/support-files, such as my-small.cnf, my-medium.cnf,
my-large.cnf, and my-huge.cnf, are laughable in today's world.

yep they are crap and should be removed. However, since they've already been replaced in the real world this is a separate issue. The my-*.cnf are not proof of "we need to create a good sample config" but rather a "this is old junk that should be removed from the bzr tree." The hindrance there is that some builds currently use them, so simply deleting the files is not sufficient.

I'll see if I can find those dependencies, and create a modified tree for merging.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Remote expertise & maintenance for MySQL/MariaDB server environments.

Follow us at http://openquery.com/blog/ & http://twitter.com/openquery