Re: Windows installer MWL#55 finished.

From: Peter Laursen [mailto:peter_laursen@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Mittwoch, 13. April 2011 00:52
To: Vladislav Vaintroub
Cc: Kazuhisa Ichikawa; maria-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Maria-developers] Windows installer MWL#55 finished.

Hi Peter,

@wlad

I came across an issue with the .msi from Oracle.

refer: http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=60830

In short: if somebody installs a 'n-bit' version and on top of this a 'm-bit' version various inconsistencies happen inside Windows system menus.  I concluded that

1) either: a n-bit of a x.y version should refuse to install if a m-bit of same x.y
version is installed
2) or: n-bit and m-bit should should identify themselves so that Windows can handle them
in parallel. (not only 'MySQL Server 5.5" but "MySQL Server 5.5 - 64 bit" etc.)

Is this something you have been considering?

We are be doing 2) – installing 32 and 64 bit side-by-side, 64 bit package  identifies itself with “x64” suffix

-- Peter