feature documentation

IMO, the Knowledgbase entry for the virtual columns

http://kb.askmonty.org/v/virtual-columns

is among the best and most useful entries we have. It describes the
feature, suggests use cases and demonstrates functionality in a
straightforward manner.

I'd like to see equal care taken to provide the same information for
all user-facing features implemented in MariaDB. If developers can
devote a little time to ensuring such documentation is started, the
community (myself included) will be happy to expand the articles to
usable states. Just ask on -discuss or IRC.

I think KB articles can be started in the feature planning phase, and
updated as the feature is implemented. I imagine the KB acting as an
ongoing feature implementation and use log is more likely to maintain
quality developer input than is asking an entire document be written
from scratch after the feature is merged.

Thoughts?

--
./k

Kurt von Finck
Chief Community And Communications Officer
Monty Program
http://montyprogram.com

Follow ups