Re: MariaDB 5.2.6 release preparations

On Thu, 12 May 2011 10:24:51 +0200
Kristian Nielsen <knielsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kristian> Daniel Bartholomew <dbart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Daniel> Please take a look at the Release Notes and Changelog pages
Daniel> and let me know if anything is missing or needs to be
Daniel> changed.
Daniel>
Daniel> https://kb.askmonty.org/v/mariadb-526-release-notes

Kristian> "For MariaDB 5.2.6 we have merged in all of the changes from
Kristian> the MariaDB 5.1 source tree including all of the upstream
Kristian> changes from MySQL 5.1.57/58. The MySQL 5.1.57 and 5.1.58
Kristian> release notes have details of what changes were made upstream
Kristian> by MySQL."
Kristian>
Kristian> Unfortunately, this is not what was done :-(
Kristian>
Kristian> Instead, we have some part of MySQL 5.1.57 (but not
Kristian> everything), and some part of .58.
Kristian>
Kristian> The precise point at which we merged is the bzr revision
Kristian>
Kristian>     revid:nirbhay.choubey@xxxxxxxxxx-20110427115410-vpeshiv6u5snkvzi
Kristian>
Kristian> The only real way of getting the list of exactly what MySQL
Kristian> changes are included in the merge is to compare the history
Kristian> for this revision using bzr.
Kristian>
Kristian> Not the way I would have prefered to do things, but that is
Kristian> how it was done.

Ok, sorry about that. I saw the commit message "Merge with MySQL
5.1.57/58" from
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~maria-captains/maria/5.2/revision/2643.124.2
and just assumed that it meant all of 5.1.57 and .58 were merged.

Any suggestions for how to phrase it? I've removed "all of the" from the
phrase "including all of the upstream changes from MySQL 5.1.57/58", and
I've removed the links to the MySQL changelogs, but it's possible people
might still assume that everything from 5.1.57/58 was merged.

Creating a list of each change that we actually pulled in seems like
overkill for a Release Notes page (it's supposed to just be the
abbreviated highlights of the release).

I suppose another option would be to remove that whole paragraph from
the Release Notes.

Let me know if you have any ideas on what to do.

Daniel> https://kb.askmonty.org/v/mariadb-526-changelog
Kristian>
Kristian> Otherwise things look fine, as far as I can tell.

Ok, thanks!

--
Daniel Bartholomew
MariaDB - http://mariadb.org