Re: MariaDB 5.2.6 release preparations

On Fri, 13 May 2011 11:59:07 +1000
Arjen Lentz <arjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Arjen> Hi Daniel

Hello!

Arjen> On 13/05/2011, at 12:05 AM, Daniel Bartholomew wrote:
<snip>
Daniel> Creating a list of each change that we actually pulled in
Daniel> seems like overkill for a Release Notes page (it's supposed to
Daniel> just be the abbreviated highlights of the release).

Arjen> People must be able to assess what the version contains.
Arjen> I've previously noted that an external reference is less than
Arjen> optimal, but is there a precise changelog of the MariaDB release
Arjen> that lists exactly which modifications were made (and as a
Arjen> matter of interest, which upstream version they came from, where
Arjen> relevant).

Yes. There is a changelog for this release (and all prior releases). For
5.2.6, the changelog is here:

https://kb.askmonty.org/v/mariadb-526-changelog

The Changelog is linked to from the download page and from the release
notes.

Arjen> While I agree with you that the release notes don't necessarily
Arjen> have to contain everything, as that's what a changelog is for.
Arjen> However, the changelog should be there. So in a nutshell, I
Arjen> think the list of each change pulled *should* be made, the
Arjen> remaining issue being where to publish it - I'm fine with
Arjen> MariaDB release notes referring to MariaDB changelog for more
Arjen> detail.
Arjen>
Arjen> Ref to a bzr branch merge is not sufficient, IMHO... it would
Arjen> put a lot of hassle on the shoulders of users and other parties
Arjen> (many of whom don't even have the expertise to assess the bzr
Arjen> log info to that extent) and that kind of stuff seriously
Arjen> hinders adoption - and it can even trigger people moving away.

If you have any suggestions for improving the changelog, let me know.

Thanks.

--
Daniel Bartholomew
MariaDB - http://mariadb.org