Re: [Maria-discuss] 5.2.6 .msi isntaller questions issues

Hi Peter
From: maria-discuss-bounces+wlad=montyprogram.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:maria-discuss-bounces+wlad=montyprogram.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peter Laursen
Sent: Samstag, 14. Mai 2011 15:02
To: maria-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; maria-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Maria-discuss] 5.2.6 .msi isntaller questions issues

I think this is for @wlad! :-)

>I just installed 5.2.6 using the new .msi installer.  This was an upgrade 'on top' of the previous (5.2.3 or 5.2.4) .msi build distributed by wlad in mailing list.

The installer worked fine,  The previos 5.2 instance was upgraded (ie. executables and similar files replaced, old my.ini and datadir is still used etc.). So far so good. The problem is with the configuration wizard.  What is it supposed to do?  Run 'mysql_upgrade'? More than this or something else?

Configuration Wizard? There is none in MariaDB.  There is a shortcut to the my.ini in the menu, and 2 pages in the installer itself for setting port etc

Let me explain my setup.  Except for this MariaDB instance (running as service 'maria52') I have both MySQL/Oracle 5.0, 5.1, 5.5 and 5.6 (running as services 'MySQL50,  'MySQL51' ,  'MySQL55' ,  'MySQL56') . The config wizard prompts me which instance should be upgraded an gives me a choice of   'MySQL50 and  'MySQL51'  but not  'MySQL55', 'MySQL56' and 'maria52'.

You talking about Upgrade Wizard, right?

1) Now if the wizard starts 'mysql_upgrade' it makes perfect sense not to offer to upgrade 'MySQL55' and 'MySQL56'  (as MySQL51/MariaDb52 are 'lower' than those -   it would be a 'downgrade' - not an 'upgrade' then - what 'mysql_upgrade' does not handle).   But ideally I think they should be displayed but 'greyed out' or otherwise indicated that upgrading MySQL 5.5/5.6 --> MariaDB 5.2 is not possible.

Well, Upgrade Wizard upgrades and does nothing else. It shows  only instances that can be upgraded.  If we had a fully featured administration UI, we could display all running instances of mysqld.exe services. However, trying to do any administration (besides perhaps starting and stopping service) for yet  unknown higher versions of MySQL and forks would be dangerous. We cannot predict how future versions on MySQL needs to be administered.

I’m not really convinced that “greyed out” is a good idea. I’m afraid we’ll have users that would report bugs “MySQL 5.5 is shown in the list but I cannot do anything with it.  It is greyed out, I try to check the checkbox, it does not work”. So I think if we cannot handle it, we  do not show it.  Really, best thing to solve that that type of confusion in my opinion is to be  timely close  to MySQL and have our 5.5 already out , and a  beta for 5.6.

2) More important: the instance that I *really* wanted to upgrade ('maria52') was not displayed.  I assume that the services' list is filtered by the prefix 'mysql'.  Am I right?  In that case I suggest the filtering is done on both (OR'ed) prefixes 'mysql' and 'maria'.

Maria52  is already running on 5.2.6.  Server executable mysqld.exe in the existing installation was  replaced, and this did the trick . Assuming you install the package for the same architecture, no further action is necessary to run it on latest 5.2.6. Thus  the database instance does not show up.

We do not  filter by prefix, we just expect service executable to be “mysqld” or “mysqld.exe”

Anyway after just exiting the wizard before executing it everything seems fine.  But the wizard GUI can still be 'polished' a little I think.

Maybe.  I’m far from being proficient at  writing GUI, and this was my first one written in native code in the last 15 years. In my opinion, it does the job it needs to do quite well,

-- Peter Laursen
-- Webyog

I just installed 5.2.6 using the new .msi installer.  This was an upgrade 'on top' of the previous (5.2.3 or 5.2.4) .msi build distributed by wlad in mailing list.

The installer worked fine,  The previos 5.2 instance was upgraded (ie. executables and similar files replaced, old my.ini and datadir is still used etc.). So far so good. The problem is with the configuration wizard.  What is it supposed to do?  Run 'mysql_upgrade'? More than this or something else?

Let me explain my setup.  Except for this MariaDB instance (running as service 'maria52') I have both MySQL/Oracle 5.0, 5.1, 5.5 and 5.6 (running as services 'MySQL50,  'MySQL51' ,  'MySQL55' ,  'MySQL56') . The config wizard prompts me which instance should be upgraded an gives me a choice of   'MySQL50 and  'MySQL51'  but not  'MySQL55', 'MySQL56' and 'maria52'.

I assume the talk is about Upgrade Wizard, right (ConfigWizard does not exist, replaced by 2 dialogs in installer itself)

1) Now if the wizard starts 'mysql_upgrade' it makes perfect sense not to offer to upgrade 'MySQL55' and 'MySQL56'  (as MySQL51/MariaDb52 are 'lower' than those -   it would be a 'downgrade' - not an 'upgrade' then - what 'mysql_upgrade' does not handle).   But ideally I think they should be displayed but 'greyed out' or otherwise indicated that upgrading MySQL 5.5/5.6 --> MariaDB 5.2 is not possible.

I can imagine  some/many users  would be irritated by checkboxes they cannot click and even by fact that 5.2 upgrade wizard  shows instances it cannot handle (even if  they are greyed out).

2) More important: the instance that I *really* wanted to upgrade ('maria52') was not displayed.  I assume that the services' list is filtered by the prefix 'mysql'.  Am I right?  In that case I suggest the filtering is done on both (OR'ed) prefixes 'mysql' and 'maria'.

MariaDB5.2.4 executables were replaced with 5.2.6 by the installer,  thus your instance  is already running in 5.2.6.  Upgrading from 5.2.x to 5.2.y does not require mysql_upgrade to run, it worked  be replacing binaries. Because it is on 5.2.6 already, it is not shown in the UpgradeWizard UI.

Anyway after just exiting the wizard before executing it everything seems fine.  But the wizard GUI can still be 'polished' a little I think.
I believe it is important to understand that functionality of this tool is restricted to just upgrade lower version to “this version”. It does not do anything else.

I would be really happy to get rid of this wizard completely and dump “create database instance” dialogs in the installer, in favor of a single centralized administration tool that integrates well into OS (WMI backend /management console frontend) that would offer at least create/remove/start/stop/upgrade instance, tweaking my.ini parameters,  copy with multiple installations and instances, and also work  remotely. There is not such tool, so this is theoretic yet. Maybe someone  would be willing to contribute something like this, I do not know.

-- Peter Laursen
-- Webyog