Re: mysql improvement idea - field type "file"

Actually I believe that could be implemented as a storage engine? The
database would be the par of the file system that mysqld can access for both
read and write. Each table in it would be a folder and every distinct value
a file. A few additional syntactical constructs would be needed (but lots of
storage engines already have such). And such tables could be restricted to
one column (an 'array of files' does not make sense here I think).

example:
CREATE TABLE webportals ENGINE FILESYSTEM AT /var/lib/mysql; -- will create
a folder named 'webportals' if not exists.
INSERT INTO webportals 'myfunnywebsiteportal.html' VALUES ('a string');--
will create file 'myfunnywebsiteportal.html' if not exists and populate it
with 'a string'. LOAD DATA could be used to populate the file too.
:-)

It has some security concerns though to access file system like that!
Indexing of data is an issue too - but such tables will probably have few
records - most often a few files only -  so maybe not really an issue. But
such engine could also have an equivalent to the .MYI file.

(Just one half cent from a non-coder.  And maybe PBXT 'Blob-streaming
engine' does something of the kind already? And the Microsoft text-ODBC
driver actually already does something similar in considering a folder in
file system a table equivalent)

Peter
(Webyog)