Re: MariaDB in EPEL

On Monday 20 June 2011 05:27:28 Colin Charles wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 19 Jun 2011, at 21:22, Marian Marinov wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I wish to package MariaDB for the EPEL repository.
> > I have searched a bit to see if there were any efforts in that direction
> > but I saw none.
> >
> > In 2009 there was some talk about MariaDB and Fedora, but that was it,
> > only some talk.
> >
> > I have the time to prepare and test the MariaDB RPMs and to continue
> > support them later.
> >
> > My idea is to have MariaDB RPMs as replacements of the default mysql
> > installation. In order to do so, I first want the approval of the MariaDB
> > developers.
>
> This would be most kind!
>
> Please, lets get into EPEL, and there is no need for approval, just much
> happiness. Let me know if there's anything we can do to help

Currently its a policy problem with the EPEL since if I build the MariaDB as a
replacement package for the base mysql, I will be breaking the policy of the
EPEL repo. However if I make it as a separate package that will reside under
/usr/local they may approve the package.

But we still discuss that in the EPEL mailing list.

Colin I understood from Karanbir that you are also working on the packages for
the CentOS plus repo. If you want I can also take over the maintainership of
the packages for CentOS plus.

--
Best regards,
Marian Marinov