MariaDB Aria based Heap Alternative

Hello:

I am beginning to work on a MEMORY/HEAP modification for the ARIA engine. This should compete favorably with the ORACLE times-ten option or SYBASE In-Memory DB.

The goal is to replace the native MySQL Table-Locked HEAP table with a record-locked ARIA based HEAP table.

It is my belief that not only should ARIA be the default transactional and non-transactional engine for Mysql, but it should be the default disk-based AND memory-based engine as well.

Before I get too far down this road, is there an ARIA engine diagram that someone has done
from the core ARIA team.

Here is an example from Percona on XtraDB.

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/InnoDB_int.png

Also, do the core ARIA developers have comments on modification of the ARIA engine to include a ARIA HEAP setting so the ARIA engine operates only on in-memory tables. Have you ideas on things that are already available to achieve this functionality.

I currently have a working ARIA based MEMORY/HEAP alternative running under MariaDB 2.8.x on Linux
if anybody wants to know how to make that work immediately.

Next week, when I get my server parts, I will run mysqlslap benchmark tests on an 8 core server that should push I/O past the point that my current Dual core testing computer running HEAP vs ARIA HEAP.

I want to see if I can push the Native HEAP past the point of the table locking limit and
see if I can SCALE the ARIA HEAP to performance way beyond Native HEAP.

I will publish more info after I get responses from the Maria DB development community.

Mark Diener

(Note to self-Fixed table cache)