Re: [Commits] Rev 3020: MWL#192: Non-blocking client API for libmysqlclient. in http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~maria-captains/maria/5.2

MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> getcontext is slow because it saves everything --FP regs, SSE regs,
> signal handlers. It was safe for RethinkDB to skip saving them but

The expensive part is signal handlers, as it requires a system call.

> they are not providing a library that can run in a wide variety of
> contexts. Why is it safe to skip them in this patch?

There is no need to save signal handlers, since we never change or use signal
handlers inside a co-routine (or anywhere in the library). Eg.
mysql_real_connect_cont() does not care if the application changed the signal
handlers since mysql_real_connect_start().

FP/SSE registers are caller-save in the x86_64 ABI. This means _any_ function
call can change them without having to save/restore them. On x86_64, the
callee-save registers are rbp, rbx, r12, r13, r14, r15 (plus rip and rsp).

So mysql_real_connect_start() will not change signal handlers despite the
co-routines not saving/restoring them, since we never change signal handlers
inside libmysql. mysql_real_connect_start() _may_ change FP/SSE regs, but so
may normal mysql_real_connect() or any library function, according to the ABI.