To: <maria-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <timour@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <igor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Philip Stoev" <pstoev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <sanja@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:01 PM
Subject: optimizer_switch flags for next 5.3 release

Hi,

Written down notes from discussion about which flags should be enabled by
default in the next 5.3 release:

- Derived tables and keys in them should be enabled
- BKA should not be enabled (doesn't make sense for 'default' query loads)
- semi-joins should be enabled
- Materialization (base) should be enabled
- extra strategies for NULL-aware materialization - ???
- ICP should be enabled
- Hash join could be enabled but in the next minor release.

- Cost-based MRR should not be enabled as cost model is not tuned.

when some feature is considered stable enough, its owner should apply for
testing with {$current_optimizer_switch_default+new_feature}, and once that is
passed, change the default in the main branch.

BR
Sergey
--
Sergei Petrunia, Software Developer