Re: Bug in ENUM options handling?

Hi!

>>>>> "Jakob" == Jakob Lorberblatt <jakob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Jakob> I believe the the debate ongoing below can be laid to rest at *MOST*
Jakob> platforms size_t will work correctly, I have found few exceptions, such as
Jakob> GCC prior to 2.4 size_t is defined as a signed integer, in sys/types.h to
Jakob> match the definitions located in this file for other nix related
Jakob> platforms, and stddef.h just includes this definition; this is a very old
Jakob> version of GCC and I believe (correct me if I am wrong) it would not
Jakob> compile MariaDB's source code anyway, not positive though haven't tried
Jakob> it.

I have compiled and used MySQL with very old versions of gcc and with
systems where size_t is signed.  I don't think it would be hard to get
the current code to work on these systems.

The issue I have mainly with size_t for enum is that in some people's
mind it's not guaranteed to be unsigned and because of that it's not a
perfect choice.

Personally I prefer to use 'uint, ulong, ulonglong' or even
uint32 and uint32 instead of size_t for some objects.

For strings and objects sizes in memory I think that size_t is ok.

Regards,
Monty