Upgrading from MySQL 5.0.34 to MariaDB 5.3.4

Hi to all,

Firstly, I'm new here and not sure of the correct place to ask for this
type of assistance but i'm hoping someone can help.

I have been using MySQL enterprise in a company production environment
for many years.
We run 5 databases in a daisy chained replication system on five servers
in five cities across Australia.

This has worked flawlessly since 2007 when we setup MySQL version
3.0.34. It worked flawlessly before then too but back then we were still
learning how much MySQL could do. Our first full production version was
5.0.34.

We have had enterprise licenses from MySQL for the five servers ever
since we started with mySQL in 2003.
When MySQL was aquired by Sun the level of service provided remained
extremely high with the only real change being that our account manager
changed from being Iko in Europe to Ralph in Australia. (I still have
the greatest respect for both Iko and Ralph. I wish I could say the same
for Oracle.)
The average time for a resolution of help issues submitted was less than
one hour, the best was 11 minutes from submission to resolution, I was
extemely happy with this but since MySQL has been taken over by Oracle
I have not been able to get system suport at all. I mean -- never... not
once....

Even after spending many hours trying to follow the instructions to get
help from the Oracle help system and after paying many thousands of
dollars to buy the suport still nothing from MySQL/Oracle suport. They
are the most arrogant and rude organisiation I've ever had to deal with.

I have began to look at moving to Maria DB as an alternative, especially
since the MariaDB project is made up of many of the original MySQL
people.

In recent weeks we have upgraded much of our company's infrastructure
and now have new servers running win server 2008 64 bit OS but three of
our DB servers are still running the old win 32 bit 2003 server OS.

The older servers are still running MySQL 5.0.34 enterprise (I have not
upgraded for years because the system has not stopped for even one
second since we finalised the configuration in 2007. That in it's self
is an indication of how good the program is.)

Since installing the new servers at two of our sites I have had to pull
them out of the replicator chain and link those sites to the main server
in Sydney. This is causing big delays in the sites with the new servers
and I need to get them back into the replicator ASAP.

I have a plan to replace all our MySQL servers with MariaDB because I
can no longer suffer the awfull disgusting lack of suport from Oracle.
I have installed MariaDB 5.3.4 on the new server in Perth as a test and
a starting point but I can not get it to load up data from an .sql dump
file created by the older MySQL version 5.0.34. (Not Suprised given the
age of the older versions)
The syntax I use for creating the dump file is :-
"mysqldump --opt --user=specialUser1 --password=specialpassword1
--routines mydatabase > mydatadump.sql"

This  brings me to my three questions.
1.   Can I run version 5.3.4 with any other version in a daisy chain
replication environment?
2.   is there a way that I can dump all tables, views, procedures,
functions, triggers and users from the old 5.0.34 version to the new
5.3.4 version for a selected DB schema?
3.   Can I run MariaDB 5.3.4 on a mixture of 32 bit Win Server 2003 and
64 bit Win Server 2008 OS's and still get them to replicate

Future direction...
I am keen to move away from MySQL/Oracle and have noted at least one
other company (SkyDB) that offers enterprise solutions for MariaDB. I
would like to hear from anyone who has more information on enterprise
solutions available for MariaDB.

Our current agreement with MySQL ends at the end of March and I hope to
be well clear of Oracle before then as I do not want to spend another
ten to twenty thousand US dollars just to get nothing in return again,
like the last two years.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Bruce Carlson.
(Business Systems Manager)