Re: regex enhancements

Hi Sergei,

> I have some questions related to this project, foremost are of course
> > what kind of enhancement are you looking for? Are you looking for an
> > update of existing code? I looked at the existing code and it seems to
> > be the old regex library written by Henry Spencer. I did not look into
> > it in detail, so I have no clear idea of the changes needed to bring
> > it up to speed. Or are you looking to upgrade with an existing
> > library? Or perhaps a rewrite suited to your needs? I can't see if you
> > use the regex library for anything but deciding simple acceptance, but
> > this would probably be a big factor in deciding. I would be happy to
> > look into all three suggestions, or even a fourth, if you prefer
> > something else.
>
> There're two answers to that.
>
> The first one - on the level of requirements, I am very much looking for
> multi-byte support in the regex library. And REGEX_REPLACE() function
> would be nice too - users ask for it quite often.

How will the REGEX_REPLACE() function work?

The second answer - I thought that the simple way of getting multi-byte
> support, would be to remove Henry Spencer library, and put some modern
> regex implementation instead. That could be relatively easy to do for
> any undegraduate student with little experience - this task was one
> of ideas we had for Google Summer of Code.

Agree, this is the simple solution. Did you already have a library picked
out? Are there any requirements to license and language? Would it be useful
if you could limit the amount of memory the library can use?

> Now, with your experience, you may prefer to do something else -
> not replace the library, but rewrite it, or extend, whatever.
> I'm fine either way. It's only important that the result works with
> multi-byte character sets (ideally - our character set code), and that
> it can support Henry Spencer regex syntax.

What I would really like to do, is rewrite the thing! However, I do not
have an unlimited amount of time for this project. I'll look into Henry
Spencers old library and let you know what I decide to do.

--
Line Bie Pedersen

Follow ups