Re: mariadb-server not installable on Debian Testing AMD64

Hello Kristian, *,
On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 10:27:59AM +0100, Kristian Nielsen wrote:
> Thomas Hackert <thackert@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > It seems, that it is a problem to try to stop a non-installed server
> > before starting it, or am I wrong ;?
>
> It does not look like the problem is stopping the server. The error is about a
> failure to *start* the server.

O.K.

> > I had tested it a little bit further. My findings so far:
> > 1. I started the purging of mariadb and its dependencies again.
> > 2. Started to install mariadb-server again. Still the same error message
> > ... :(
> > 3. Purged it again, removed all founded mysql files and directories, and
> > tried to install mariadb-server again, but to no avail ... :(
>
> Ok, I was going to suggest moving away (or deleting if you don't need it)
> anything in /etc/mysql/ and /var/lib/mysql/ and /var/log/mysql/. But seems you
> already tried this, and it did not work...

Unfortunately not ... :(

> > /If/ there would be any ... :( Would it be of any help, if I install a
> > logging daemon (not sure, why I have no syslogd and/or alternatives of
> > it installed ... :( I was pretty sure, that some progs need to log every
>
> Hm, I wonder if this is related. The server logs messages to syslog for .deb
> packages. I am not sure of the exact mechanism though. I wonder if the server
> tries to log to syslog, this gives an error because of no syslog present, and
> this is what causes the server start to fail?

Should syslog not a dependency to install mariadb-server then?

> There is not much I can say without a better idea of why the server fails to
> start. One thing you could try is to try and start the server manually after
> the install fails:
>
>     sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start

Done this before (but had apparently forgotten to mention it, sorry ...
:( ). Leads to
<quote>
/etc/init.d/mysql start
[....] Starting MariaDB database server: mysqld . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . [FAIL . . . . . . . failed!
</quote>
... :(

> You can try with strace -f to spot why it fails, or you can edit
> /etc/init.d/mysql to make it more verbose in an attempt to spot what causes
> the problem. Stuff like that.

Well, I have "strace"d it to a file, but am not sure, what it is telling
me ... :( The file is 7.2 MB ("bzip"ped only 340 KB) ... :( Is it
possible to send it to someone, who is able to "read" strace? I am not,
sorry ... :(

> Or is there a way for me to reproduce the problem myself?

I am not sure. I have only added mariadb's repository to my
/etc/apt/sources.list, run "apt-get update" and tried to install
mariadb-server, when I stumbled upon this problem ... ;)
Thanks for your answers and have a nice evening
Thomas.

--
We Klingons believe as you do -- the sick should die. Only the strong
should live.