Re: mariadb-server not installable on Debian Testing AMD64

Hi Thomas,

The topmost reason for this kind of failure is usually an existing my.cnf file which contains option(s) not supported by the current version of the server, e.g. deprecated and removed. You mentioned that you purged everything mysql-ish, did it include all instances of my.cnf you could find? They could be hiding in /etc/my.cnf or /usr/etc/my.cnf, etc.

Further, if you don't have syslog, your error output currently just goes nowhere; at least I tried to stop rsyslog, and that's what happens. Please try to modify /etc/mysql/conf.d/mysqld_safe_syslog.cnf -- it most likely has 'syslog' option, just change it to skip-syslog. It should enable default error logging to /var/lib/mysql/<machine name>.err. Then, try to run /etc/init.d/mysql start again and see if the error log is updated.

If it still isn't, I'd recommend to check permissions on /var/lib/mysql.

Regards,
Elena