Re: mariadb-server not installable on Debian Testing AMD64

Hello Elena, *,
On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 11:13:17PM +0400, Elena Stepanova wrote:
> The topmost reason for this kind of failure is usually an existing
> my.cnf file which contains option(s) not supported by the current
> version of the server, e.g. deprecated and removed. You mentioned
> that you purged everything mysql-ish, did it include all instances
> of my.cnf you could find? They could be hiding in /etc/my.cnf or
> /usr/etc/my.cnf, etc.

well, I had mentioned it to Kristian (see
https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-developers/msg05104.html, where all
steps are listed, which I have done) ... ;)

> Further, if you don't have syslog, your error output currently just
> goes nowhere; at least I tried to stop rsyslog, and that's what
> happens. Please try to modify
> /etc/mysql/conf.d/mysqld_safe_syslog.cnf -- it most likely has
> 'syslog' option, just change it to skip-syslog. It should enable
> default error logging to /var/lib/mysql/<machine name>.err. Then,
> try to run /etc/init.d/mysql start again and see if the error log is
> updated.

Cool, did not know this trick, thanks :) Now I have a $name.err ... ;)

> If it still isn't, I'd recommend to check permissions on /var/lib/mysql.

It is :) There I found
<quote>
<snip>
130205 19:12:39 [ERROR] Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port. Got
error: 99: Cannot assign requested address
130205 19:12:39 [ERROR] Do you already have another mysqld server
running on port: 3306 ?
130205 19:12:39 [ERROR] Aborting
</snip>
... :( But no mysqld was/is running ... :( Or does it mean, I have to
install bind?
Sorry for the inconvenience and have a nice evening
Thomas.
<TOFU removed>

--
With all the fancy scientists in the world, why can't they just once
build a nuclear balm?