Re: Question

Hi!

First, the MariaDB developers list is the right place to ask questions
like this.

Aamir> Hi Monty,
Aamir> I have researched this question about MySQL without luck and if you cannot answer it then nobody can. On some MySQL servers the version number returns a  "-log" suffixed to the version number. For example, 5.0.45-log. What does the "-log" mean or signify? This is not a standard version number as far as I can tell. Should it not simply return 5.0.45? I have posted the question to a couple of forums but nobody's able to answer.

I have just updated the documentation at
https://kb.askmonty.org/en/version/
to answer this questions in detail.

Here is a copy of the new documentation:

The VERSION() string may have one or more of the following suffixes:
Suffix	Description

-embedded	The server is an embedded server (libmysqld).
-log	General logging, slow logging or binary (replication) logging is enabled.
-debug	The server is compiled for debugging.
-valgrind	 The server is compiled to be instrumented with valgrind.

Regards,
Monty