Re: Aria vs MyISAM key_buffer_size

Hi!

I am cc:ing Maria-developers list, as this is a typical question that
can be asked and answered here.

Ian> Hi Monty
Ian> I have a question on key-buffer-size that wasn't answered definitively
Ian> by others on IRC.

Ian> As I understand it, by default, Aria doesn't use the key_buffer_size
Ian> setting at all, it makes use of aria-pagecache-buffer-size.

Yes, both are basicly doing the same thing, but for different storage
engines.  The main difference is that for Aria we can also store rows
in it if you user ROW_FORMAT=PAGE

Ian> However, if
Ian> Aria tables are created with ROW_FORMAT=FIXED or ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC to
Ian> emulate MyISAM, are they then emulating MyISAM's use of key-buffer-size
Ian> as well, and not making use of Aria cache settings?

It's not really emulation, but more that Aria has, for these cases,
identical code for handling row data..

For the above ROW_FORMAT's we store *ONLY* the key pages in the aria
page cache. The rows are not cashed (like we do with MyISAM).

Regards,
Monty