Re: GSoC 2013 -- the Kerberos authentication plugin project

Hi, QIU!

On Apr 17, QIU Shuang wrote:
> Hi community,
>
> This is Shuang Qiu, a student from Shanghai, China, major in Software
> Engineering. My field of interests is distributed storage (also a
> little knowledge of information retrieval).

There's no task on our gsoc page that quite matches that.  Perhaps you
could suggest a new one? Something that you'd like to do, that fits in
your area of expertise? You are very welcome to propose a new task!

> I've focused on the MariaDB project for a while and want to make this
> GSoC a first step into this community :).  Based on my experience, I
> think the Kerberos plugin project meets more my taste (also the full
> text search one, unfortunately, which has been crossed out from the
> slate).  Although not a very tough task at first glance, but I believe
> there must be some tricky things behind the scene.
>
> I've skip the pointer on MariaDB GSoC2013 home page and have some
> point unclear. How will we configure the Kerberos server? Do we need
> some name resolve protocol to discover the Kerberos service?

We should behave similar to other projects. There are IMAP/POP3 servers
that can use Kerberos authentication, etc.

Admins that have already configured Kerberos-aware services before
should find it familiar to configure MariaDB to use Kerberos, there
should be no big surprises.