ALTER TABLE METHOD=OFFLINE, method=nolock, method=shared,
method=anyothers.... could do the same work, the ONLINE keyword is just a
"please don't use OFFLINE algorithm" and i think we could have a new var
here "default_offline_algorithm=xxxxxx" at my.cnf

as a DBA, i think about use of resources and time, like any project
management (cost, resource, time)
I NEED online when i have some programs running queries at <1 qps or a
'soft/hard realtime' process, and i need a new index, for example, and
table is very big (let's talk about >1GB)

with a offline solution i can create index only when i halt all programs
the online will solve many support problems to me, related to scheduled
tasks. I think that's the main point, avoid scheduled tasks

About internal algorithms and locks, i don't have many to say since i don't
know many internal features and structures, sorry... in future i will help
with internals :)

good work guys! when complete this task please let'me (everybody) know via
mail list :) i will test with >4GB tables in same day/week that i need new
index and change some fields size