Re: [All] MariaDB's best (download) month ever

Hi Roberto,

On 25 Sep 2013, at 04:51, Roberto Spadim <roberto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> please, if mariadb got enterprise version, don't call it "mariadb
> enterprise" like mysql did, create another name...
> some users could tell "mariadb enterprise version is good, but mariadb
> community version isn't.", that happens to mysql here in Brazil at
> least
> about numbers, i don't think it's a problem for community, who care
> about download numbers? this don't make a good software :) and mariadb
> is very nice, better than mysql in many cases :) that's the point :)

The MariaDB Server is and always will be opensource.

I notice that mariadb.com talks about an Enterprise offering ("The new gold standard for database high availability" -- ?!?), which from my understanding has nothing to do with the MariaDB Server. Your feedback is important, and I tend to agree with you - it sure does sound confusing. I will pass this feedback on to the person responsible for this.

And with regards to your topic on download numbers -- note that they're hugely not a representation of our userbase. We cannot count users in distributions, large scale installs, etc. We also naturally see a huge discrepancy when it comes to opt-in statistics:
	http://mariadb.org/feedback_plugin/stats/server_count_by_month/

Anyway, thank you for your valuable feedback and lets all focus on making MariaDB better!

cheers,
-colin