Re: MariaDB Galera replication

<snip>

There can be much detail ;) I'll start with this:

1) During transaction execution Galera records unique keys of the rows
modified or referenced (foreign keys) by transaction.
2) At prepare time it takes the keys and binlog events from the thread IO
cache and wraps them into a "writeset".
3) The writeset is synchronously copied to all nodes. This is the only
synchronous operation and can be done either over TCP or multicast UDP. All nodes, including the sender receive writesets in exactly the same order, which defines the sequence number part of the GTID. The writeset is placed
in the receive queue for further processing.
4) The writeset is picked from the queue and (in seqno order) is passed through certification algorithm which determines whether the writeset can be applied or not and also which writesets it can be applied in parallel with. 5) If certification verdict is positive, master commits the transaction and sends OK to client, slave applies and commits the binlog events from the
writeset.
6) If certification verdict is negative, master rolls back the transaction
and sends deadlock error to client, slave just discards the writeset.

In the end transaction is either committed on all nodes (except for those
that fail) or none at all.

Here is a picture of the process:
http://www.codership.com/wiki/doku.php?id=certification. The certification algorithm itself was proposed by Fernando Pedone in his PhD thesis. The idea is that by global event ordering allows us to make consistent decisions
without the need for additional communication.

Note that if only one node in the cluster accepts writes, certification will
always be positive.

So the picture seem to suggest that certification happens on each
server independently. I don't know how you make sure that the result
of the certification is the same on each server (would be nice to know
that).

Certification test is deterministic provided the writesets are processed in the same order. Group communication transport makes sure that the writesets are globally totally ordered. That is basically the main Galera difference: group communication instead of unrelated TCP links.

But anyway looks like you need at least one roundtrip to each
node to deliver writeset and make sure that it's delivered. And I
guess only one misbehaving node will freeze all transactions until
that node is excluded from the cluster. Is that correct?

Yes, you're correct. It's kinda clusterish.

As an example here's an independent comparison of Galera vs.
semi-sync performance:
http://linsenraum.de/erkules/2011/06/momentum-galera.html.

This is a nice blog post written in German and posted in 2011. And

You don't seriously expect that something has changed in that department
since then, do you? ;)

while Google Translate gave me an idea what post was about it would be
nice to see something more recent and with better description of what
was the actual testing set up.

Sure thing, but who will bother?

Are you serious with these questions? So you are telling me "cluster
is much better than semi-sync", I'm asking you "give me the proof",
and you answer me "who bothers to have a proof"? And you want me to
treat your claims seriously?

That really was a rhetoric question, but if you insist...

One. 2 years ago one dude decided to compare Galera and semi-sync as best as he could. And it was kinda a clear case. You know how semi-sync works and you know its hard to do worse. Since then only Jay cared to do it in WAN and it was what everybody expected. Besides that, literally, nobody bothered about semi-sync. Even Kristian told you that he does not.

Two. We are kinda busy developing and improving our software. And as long as we believe that there is enough evidence from the field that our software gets better, it would be irresponsible of us spending time and money on churning out quarterly benchmark results, wouldn't it? Especially given that most of those are hardly applicable in real life and anyone can dismiss them as skewed. Or expired.

Three. I'm not trying to sell you anything. Had it been about asynchronous replication, I would not have spoken at all. However sincerely believing that Galera covers all semi-sync use cases, I asked why you don't use it. I wanted to know why it does not work for you, why are you fixing semi-sync instead.

But now we ended up here. In the public mailing list. And that kinda makes me obliged to expose your misconceptions and accept just criticism.

However here's something from 2012 and in
English - but no pictures:
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2012/06/14/comparing-percona-xtradb-cluster-with-semi-sync-replication-cross-wan/

This is really ridiculous testing with really ridiculous conclusions.

That's a debatable statement ;) I think many would disagree.

What kind of comparison is that if you are testing 6-replica Percona
Cluster against 2-replica setting with semi-sync?

Well, Jay was comparing Percona Cluster with one master replicating to (eventually) 5 slaves (which is presumably more work) and MySQL semi-sync with one master replicating to one slave. And he sees that Percona Cluster does no worse than semi-sync with one client thread and WAY better with several threads. It kinda answers many of your questions about performance.

Disabling log_bin
and innodb_support_xa on Percona Cluster is also very nice -- how will
you recover from server crashes?

And what other nodes are for? Don't you yourself want to employ semi-sync to avoid extra flushes? And how would you recover from crashes then? Here's the quote from your original post which prompted me to ask you about Galera:

"Semi-sync replication for us is a DBA tool that helps to achieve
durability of transactions in the world where MySQL doesn't do any
flushes to disk. As you may guess by removing disk flushes we can
achieve a very high transaction throughput. Plus if we accept the
reality that disks can fail and repairing information from it is
time-consuming and expensive (if at all possible), with such reality
you can realize that flush or no flush there's no durability if disk
fails, and thus disk flushes don't make much sense."

This is exactly what we stand for with Galera: durability through redundancy. Or am I missing something?

And where will nodes take last events from after network disconnection?

From the cluster. That's what it is there for.

"I ignored quorum arbitration" also
doesn't sound promising even though I don't know what it is.

This really isn't a big deal. He just had two datacenters with equal number of nodes in them. Had network been broken between them there'd be a "split-brain". It is relevant to multi-master use case only. And practically irrelevant to performance benchmarking that he did.

Being WAN test it may be not directly relevant to your case, but it kinda shows that Galera replication is more efficient than semi-sync in WAN, and is likely to be also more efficient in LAN. In fact, given that semi-sync replicates one transaction at a time, it is hard to be less efficient than
semi-sync. Only through deliberate sabotage.

Well, sure, as long as your only definition of "efficiency" is
something like 32-threaded sysbench results. But how about
single-threaded sysbench results, i.e. average transaction latency in
single-threaded client mode?

That was in the first table:

semi-sync:       102 ms
Percona cluster: 108 ms

Ok, this was not sysbench, it was just manual inserts.

And how about another killer case: what
is the maximum number of parallel updates per second that you can make
to a single row?

But of course, it is now well known, 1/RTT.

When you talk about efficiency you need to talk about a wide range of
different use cases.

2. Node reconnecting to cluster will normally receive only events that it
missed while being disconnected.

This seem to contradict to the docs. Again from
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb-galera-cluster-known-limitations/ :
"After a temporary split, if the 'good' part of the cluster was still
reachable and its state was modified, resynchronization occurs".

Yes, but it does not specify the sort of synchronization - whether it is a full state snapshot transfer or merely a catch up with missing transactions.
But, depending on the circumstances any of those can occur.

It would be nice to see what algorithm is used to choose which kind of
synchronization is necessary to do.

It is rather simple: if possible (required transactions are present in donor cache) - replay missing transactions, if not - copy a full snapshot. But yes, this area is not totally without gotchas yet...

Yet, Galera nodes can be started simultaneously and then joined
together by setting wsrep_cluster_address from mysql client connection.
This
is not advertised method, because in that case state snapshot transfer
can
be done only by mysqldump. If you set the address in advance, rsync or
xtrabackup can be used to provision the fresh node.

This is of course better because I can start all instances with the
same command line arguments. But transferring snapshot of a very big
database using mysqldump, and causing the node that creates mysqldump
to blow up memory consumption during the process, that is still a big
problem.

How would you do this with semi-sync? Restore from backup and replay missing
events? Well, you can do the same with Galera.

I'm sorry, but this is not mentioned anywhere in the docs. So I don't
know what Galera allows to do in this case.

It is now plain to see our complete failure with documentation. And I guess that answers my initial question of why you're not using Galera.

4. Every Galera node can perfectly work as either master or slave to
native
MySQL replication. So migration path is quite clear.

Nope, not clear yet. So I'll be able to upgrade all my MySQL instances
to a Galera-supporting binary while they are replicating using
standard MySQL replication. That's good. Now, how the Galera
replication is turned on after that? What will happen if I just set
wsrep_cluster_address address on all replicas? What will replicas do,
and what will happen with the standard MySQL replication?

Ok, I was clearly too brief there.

1) you shutdown the first slave, upgrade software, add required
configuration, restart it as a single node cluster, connect it back to
master as a regular slave.
2) for the rest of the slaves: shut down the slave, upgrade software, add required configuration, join it to Galera cluster. Galera cluster functions as a single collective slave now. Only Galera replication between the nodes. Depending on how meticulous you are, you can avoid full state snapshot if you take care to notice the offset (in the number of transactions) between the moments the first and this nodes were shut down. Then you can forge the Galera GTID corresponding to this node position and just replay missing
transactions cached by the first node (make sure it is specified in
wsrep_sst_donor). If the node does not know its Galera GTID, then, obviously
it needs full SST.

Hm... As Galera is not available for MariaDB 10.0 I assume Galera GTID
is not the same as MariaDB's GTID. This is confusing, and it's
apparently not documented anywhere...

Yes, at the moment it is the case. We develop our patch against Oracle's sources and then it gets ported to PXC and MariaDB Cluster. Currently MariaDB Cluster is a bit behind and MariaDB GTID support may be challenging. However this will be of relevance only if you decide to heavily mix Galera and native replication (as in having two Galera clusters replicate to each other asynchronously). For migration it is probably of little importance.

3) when all nodes are converted perform master failover to one of Galera
nodes like you'd normally do. Now you can stop the remaining slave.
4) Convert former master as per 2)

If this looks dense, quick Google search gives:
http://www.severalnines.com/blog/field-live-migration-mmm-mariadb-galera-cluster
https://github.com/percona/xtradb-cluster-tutorial/blob/master/instructions/Migrate%20Master%20Slave%20to%20Cluster.rst

This is the best advice I've ever heard from (presumably) developer of
a big and complicated piece of software: if you need documentation on
how to use it go google it and you may find some blog posts by someone
who uses it... OK, thanks, I know now how I can find more info on
Galera Cluster.

Sarcasm is good. But if you look at it realistically these were the real world guys solving their real world problems. How can a developer of not so big, but nevertheless complicated *C++* software provide you with exhaustive instructions on how to do *DBA* stuff, which given the admitted complexity of the problem and diversity of requirements and approaches would take volumes? Apparently these guys didn't have it that hard to understand how Galera is applicable to their problem. This is not to say that our documentation doesn't suck, but how are these blog posts worse than something I would have written? Why should not I refer to 3rd party knowledge?

Anyway, as I already said above, the point is taken, even though it is besides technical merits of Galera.

Regards,
Alex

Pavel

--