Re: What is bundled libevent library for?

Hi, Colin!

On Nov 18, Colin Charles wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2013, at 19:13, Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Nov 16, Pavel Ivanov wrote:
> >> Sergei,
> >>
> >> Do you know why MariaDB sources have libevent library bundled with
> >> them? I don't see it being used anywhere. I see it was added in this
> >> commit by Monty
> >> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~maria-captains/maria/10.0/revision/3492.3.1,
> >> but even in that commit I can't find any usages of the library.
> >> So should it be removed from MariaDB?
> >
> > Yes. I can do that.
> > It came with 5.6 merge, and in 5.6 libevent is used by memcached plugin.
>
> Aren't we planning on actually ensuring that we have the memached
> innodb plugin? From what I understand, Oracle has put more effort into
> this in 5.7, and the latest milestone release may even have it
> performing faster than memcached itself (source: Tomas Ulin keynote,
> Percona Live London, last week)

I haven't heard of any such plans.

But even if we will, nothing prevents us from adding libevent when we'll
need it. Or we can use system libevent (like we do with boost).

It doesn't change the fact that libevent was merged in by mistake and
that it's not used in 10.0