Re: get is now a reserved word in mariadb 10 ?

Hi, Alexander!

On Nov 21, Alexander Barkov wrote:

> > GET comes from GET DIAGNOSTICS statement. And verb keywords are
> > usually reserved.
> >
> > But not all (FLUSH is not). And I've just tried to unreserve GET, it
> > didn't break anything. I'll test a bit more and if it'll work, I'll
> > push that.
>
> GET is a reserved keyword in the SQL standard:
>
> http://savage.net.au/SQL/sql-2003-2.bnf.html#reserved%20word

Yes, I know. It's also marked in sql_yacc.yy as "reserved in the sql
standard".

> Perhaps we should non un-reserve it.

Why not, we've always had a rule of not reserving more than required by
the parser. In this case the parser requires that GET cannot be used as
label in stored routines. But it can be used by identifiers.

> Note, MySQL-5.6 also treats GET as a reserved word.
> Why have this incompatibility.

Unreserving keywords doesn't make MariaDB less of "drop in replacement",
everything that worked will continue to work the way it did.