Re: MariaDB-10.0-beta sysbench results

Hi XL,

On 22 Nov 2013, at 01:32, Axel Schwenke <axel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have run another sysbench with in-memory workload to check where we are
> with respect to mutex contention.

Thank you for doing this. This is *amazing*, and I hope this continues

<snipped>

> I notice a visible performance gain in MariaDB-10.0 over MariaDB-5.5 at 32
> threads. This is probably due to the work on the InnoDB kernel mutex
> (impossible to prove since 5.5 doesn't have mutex instrumentation). At
> higher concurrency however the LOCK_open mutex kicks in and performance is
> clearly dominated by that mutex alone (it flattens out for all 5.5 and 10.0
> versions of MariaDB)

OK, from my reading, it seems that yes, MariaDB 10 is better than 5.5, but in all occurrences performance is not matched to MySQL 5.6. This is something we clearly need to look into before we go GA

Readonly, at 32 threads shows a difference 2,000 tps. And from 10.0.4 -> 10.0.6 we seem to have lost some 1,500 tps as well. This delta is much worse when we have 64 or 128 threads. This seems to also be the case for sysbench r/w.

That said, now is a good time to start fixing these problems, as we clearly need a performant DB for a GA release.

Thank you again XL for doing this, and lets hope we see a lot more

cheers,
-colin

--
Colin Charles, Chief Evangelist
MariaDB | t: +6-012-204-3201 | Skype: colincharles