Re: Problem with debug_sync, THD::enter_cond(), and kill ...

Pavel Ivanov <pivanof@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Looking at the code it looks like most places (including THD::awake)
> assume that thd->mysys_var->current_mutex and
> thd->mysys_var->current_cond can be changed only when
> thd->mysys_var->mutex is locked. debug_sync.cc is breaking this
> assumption. I've found that Item_func_sleep::val_int(),
> THD::enter_cond() and THD::exit_cond() break this assumption too. I
> believe all of those places should be fixed to lock
> thd->mysys_var->mutex before any attempts to read or write to
> thd->mysys_var->current_mutex and thd->mysys_var->current_cond.

Hm... well, as I understand the code in THD::awake(), the idea is that it is
ok for enter_cond() to _set_ the new values without locks. THD::awake() will
use them if they are set, and ignore them if not. However, to _clear_ them,
the mysys_var->mutex needs to be held - and awake() holds this mutex while
using the values.

It would seem a bit sad to introduce an extra mutex for every call to
enter_cond(), only to satisfy some debug code which is never used in
production. But maybe it is not so important, since that is only done when the
thread is going to sleep on a condition anyway?

I am also not sure if it could introduce risk of deadlocks or other issues if
taking the mysys_var->mutex while also holding the
mysys_var->current_mutex. There is a comment in exit_cond() that says that
current_mutex must be unlocked before mysys_var->mutex is locked. But I do not
know enough of this code to be sure if that is a problem also in enter_cond().