For Google Summer of Code 2014, Interested in the task of "statistically optimize mysql-test runs by running less tests"

Dear Sergei Golubchik,

I am a post graduate student of Institute of Software, Chinese Academy of
Sciences and my name is Zhongyi Hu.
I major in computer science and my research field is data stream mining.
Because I have got enough papers and works for graduation,
I want to do something interesting, meaningful and valuable in the rest
time as student.

I have participated in two projects about database, one is main memory
database and the other is database cluster.
I got some experience of database system design and implementaion from
them.
Although I am just a beginner of this area, I really like it and expect to
make it as my career.
I often use Mysql in research and work, but MariaDB is not very familiar to
me.
I am tremendously optimistic about it's future because all of you.

Well, let's come to the point.
I am interested in the task of "statistically optimize mysql-test runs by
running less tests".
I chose this task because I have written a few tools for automatic test.
I know the performance is very important if there are a large amount of
data or cases to test.

I read the MDEV-5776 and I think the major job is as follow.

When the code is changed, the mysql-test is used to do the requisite tests.
We need to integrate the information of the changes and the scenarios
to predict the probability of failure for each test and get the
relationships of the tests.
Then decide what to test and what test cases should be used.
The purpose is to optimize the efficiency of testing.
All of these should be done by algorithm and program.

In addition, I think that the job is in some ways like mining in data
stream,
such as many data need to be statistical analyzed and the hidden patterns
changing over time.

At last, I have two basic questions.
1) What exactly are the builder and the combination?
I thought they refer to compiler and runtime environment.
2) What does the "individual tests within a big test file" mean?

Maybe I am completely wrong, but I still look forward to your reply.
I hope to have the opportunity to learn from you in work and discussion.

Best regards

Zhongyi Hu

20140314

Follow ups