Re: MariaDB release and support policies

Hi, Otto!

On Mar 13, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Does MariaDB promise a 8 year release cycle for 5.5 as MySQL does?

Yes, we promise to support (release, fix bugs, etc) 5.5 as long as MySQL
does and then some more.

> Does all of the points listed at
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2014-February/001812.html
> apply for MariaDB as well?

Heh, we don't have all our patches signed off by MySQL Support Team, if
that's what you're asking.

It mostly applies. Low-volume stable branches, approximately every
month, regression tests, multiple platforms per push, debug, optimized,
all supported platforms, and so on, and so forth.

Some procedures are different (e.g. no dedicated release build process,
every revision is built as if it was a release. Thus there's no code
freeze, we release the binaries built by buildbot).

> Can we promise Ubuntu that all MariaDB minor releases fulfill the
> quality requirements listed above?

Yes.

> If so, I'll then file a micro release update permission request for
> Ubuntu. AFAIK as I know it is the only way to get security releases to
> users anyway.
>
> PS. Do you people know about semver.org and try to follow the general
> versioning policy?

No and no.