Re: SQL Accelerator FPGA/ASIC

Dear Jan,

Thank you for your response. I have background in SQL (MS, Sybase, MySQL, Postgre), so luckily I'm not a beginner in query writing, however, I have absolutely no background in how databases work on background (other than hash-table).

The idea is not really SIMD here, but a specially designed hardware to perform database functions much faster than the conventional DISK<->RAM<->CACHE<->CPU model. What I'm struggling to figure is that the latency caused by a enterprise-grade SQL script (not very correct and advanced code, but not very low-quality either), is Memory-Related or Arithmetic related or both?

Here is what can be made for example:

1) A card with 16 DDR3 Chips on board and a Central FPGA, allowing very fast access to data, and like 100 small CPUs integrated in the FPGA to process a query.
   (a query that was written to take advantage of these features however)

2) A card with XDR Memory chips and like 32GB of Flash Chips to achieve very high-speed storage, retrieval (SSD<->RAM) and an FPGA that has many cores inside. A query is executed by FPGA pulling large chunk of data from Flashes, putting them in XDR RAM chips and processes them in a parallel manner

3) A card with XDR Memory chips and an FPGA on board, connected to a PCI Express 8x which receives all the data it needs from the host computer, and does the parallel processing inside itself, returning it back to the host.

4) A card with an FPGA inside, having 100 small CPUs and PCI Express to take commands from host computer and process in a parallel manner

5) A card with an FPGA, not having small processors inside, but special circuitry that does either lookup, sorting, etc in a very fast manner

These are a few examples that I gave. The difference among them is the notion of having RAM, having a cold-storage, having an FPGA with many CPUs inside or an FPGA with special dedicated circuitry that performs special functions in parallel that is difficult for a CPU to handle (imaging adding 300 numbers to another 300 numbers in a single cycle, where a CPU with SIMD would take much longer, or maybe a string processor that processes many string columns with PATINDEX, etc in parallel where a CPU would be slow as it can't handle them in parallel).

So what I'm researching is whether beneath the SQL pyramid, there is a memory intensive operation going on or logic-intensive. What to look for and what to aim for...

Thanks in advance for your help,
Nasser