Re: Passwordless MariaDB root login with auth_socket in Debian continues..

On Sat, 2015-03-14 at 20:48 +0200, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> Hello Daniel B. and others,
>
> I decided to write to you via the mailing list so that we are
> inclusive if somebody wants to join our effort to create a solid
> passwordless (Debian/Ubuntu) packaging.

it might be worth you noting the issue I found last month - mariadb and
perconadb (and maybe mysql upstream, I'm unsure) use different names for
the unix socket plugin, so switching between servers with the same data
directory using this plugin does not work:

https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-developers/msg08177.html

I'm unsure if Debian uses different data directories for mariadb
than /var/lib/mysql. The percona packages don't, and mariadb's own
packages do not.

There are plenty of other things that make switching mysql versions
difficult, but the default authentication stopping working seems like
it's going to affect a lot of people!

John.