Merge 10.0 -> 10.1

I have some patches in 10.0 that have not yet been merged to 10.1.

Today I attempted the merge, but there were a few conflicts that I was not
sure how to handle. Some charset-related functions touching fields that had
moved to another struct, some error handling functions in XtraDB with new
extra arguments.

In case someone else does the merge, I just wanted to point out one conflict
in one of my patches in the 10.0 -> 10.1 merge, as the correct resolution is
not obvious:

  <<<<<<< HEAD
    if (mysql_bin_log.is_open())
      return true;
  =======
    if (mysql_bin_log.is_open() && opt_binlog_commit_wait_count > 0)
      return true;

The correct conflict resolution here is to leave the code as it was in 10.1:

    if (mysql_bin_log.is_open())
      return true;

Or I can do the complete 10.0 -> 10.1 merge if necessary, figuring out the
other conflicts, but I did not want to do that without coordinating, to avoid
duplicating efforts.