Re: Not possible to use FIFO file as a general_log file

Hi, Honza!

On Apr 07, Honza Horak wrote:
> This is just a re-sending the issue reported already at
> https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-6870 to make it more visible,
> since there is no respond yet.
>
> There was an issue [1] in mysql and mariadb prior to 5.5.40 if socket or
> fifo files were used as general_log and slow query log files. That issue
> was fixed by a commit in [2], so currently it is not possible to use
> other than regular files as log files.
>
> I'd like to bring this issue to attention of mariadb developers as well,
> since our customer is asking for specifically this functionality – to be
> able to use FIFO file as general_log file. Is it really unacceptable?

Thanks for a ping.

I've made the issue visible and it will be fixed (it was lacking
fixVersion value in Jira and thus it was not showing up in searches,
sorry for this).

I don't see why one shouldn't be able to use FIFO as general_log file.
So I hope we'll remove this limitation and fix the crash differently.