Re: [Maria-discuss] Collations, trailing spaces and unique indexes

Hi Binarus,

On 03/16/2016 06:13 PM, Binarus wrote:
>> I just wanted to split the task into these steps:
>>
>> 1. Default and _bin collations.
>>    This is what MDEV-9711 is about.
>>
>> 2. Unicode Collation Algorithm (UCA) based collations
>>    (e.g. utf8_unicode_nopad_ci)
>>

>> 3. The rest (not covered by the previous steps)
>>    This will include latin1_general_nopad_cs, latin2_czech_nopad_cs
>>

>> This is why asked in the previous letter if utf8_unicode_nopad_ci would
>> work for you.
>> Also, which MariaDB version do you need this for? Will 10.1 work?
>>

> Thank you very much for this explanation.
>
> Regarding the version: Our O/S usually is Debian which generally uses software which is quite old. This means that I will have to compile MariaDB myself in every case.
> The current project where this new collations are needed will probably take about three months before being finished. It would be very nice if we could have the new collations until then.
> In the meantime, we'll continue development with MySQL and switch to MariaDB as soon as the new collations are available.

Excellent. The fact that you compile from sources makes the things
easier. I guess we can add new collations officially into 10.2.

Then after 3 month if you'll feel that 10.2 is not mature enough
for you, we can make a custom non-official 10.1 tree with the new
collations back-ported (it should be trivial to do).

> ci collations would be sufficient as a starting point. Nevertheless, I think there must be a nopad collation for every collation which already exists.
> Personally, since we are using utf8 (and no other encoding) in every part of every project, I would prefer to have *all utf8* nopad collations before
>having any other nopad collation. But that's just my personal opinion.
>We will be grateful for any progress regardless of the order of things
being implemented.

Thanks. Then we're flexible to implement #2 first, and wait for #1
to be done under terms of Google Summer Of Code 2016.