Re: GSoC 2016:Unique indexes for blobs

Hi, Shubham!

What do you think about a higher-level implementation?
Not in InnoDB or in MyISAM at all, but in the sql/ directory, on the sql
layer?

Like, on CREATE TABLE you automatically add a new BIGINT column, but
hide it from the user (not show it in SHOW COLUMNS and in SELECT *).
Create an index for it (also hidden). Put the blob's hash into this
column.  And on collisions retrieve both rows and compare blobs. Just
like MyISAM is doing, but not on the storage engine level, but in the
engine-independent fashion, something that works for all engines.

This might be even easier than doing it inside InnoDB.

Want to look at this approach?

MySQL 5.7 has something similar (long unique constraints on the sql
layer), but they've done it only for internal temporary tables (like
MyISAM's MI_UNIQUE is only used for internal temporary tables),
and it's not directly available for the user. Still, it might give you
some hinst about how to implement this feature on the sql layer.

What do you think?

Chief Architect MariaDB
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx