Why/how does the MariaDB client depend on libdbd-mysql-perl?

I am returning to this age-old discussion about libdbd-mysql-perl as
dependency in Debian:

>> +         libdbi-perl,
>> +         libterm-readkey-perl,
>> +         mariadb-client-core-10.0 (>= ${source:Version}),
>> +         ${misc:Depends},
>> +         ${perl:Depends},
>> +         ${shlibs:Depends}
>> +Recommends: libdbd-mysql-perl (>= 1.2202)
>
> really? why libdbi-perl is required but libdbd-perl is optional?
> the one makes no sense without the other. and libterm-readkey-perl
> is required, why it's really optional, everything works without it.

In MySQL 5.6 this dependency also still exists:

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-mysql/mysql-5.6.git/tree/debian/control
Package: mysql-client-5.6
Architecture: any
Depends: debianutils (>=1.6),
         libdbd-mysql-perl (>= 1.2202),
         libdbi-perl,
         libterm-readkey-perl,

But it has been dropped in MySQL 5.7 packaging. In 5.7 it is not even
a Recommends or Suggests, but completely removed.
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-mysql/mysql-5.7.git/tree/debian/control

I don't know what to do about this because I don't really understand
what or how the mysql client does with perl library dependencies. It
is a C program, does it really use the perl library in any way? So
auxilary script does something?

Can we drop the dependency on libdbd-mysql-perl, and starting from what version?

- Otto

Follow ups