Re: [Maria-discuss] Known limitation with TokuDB in Read Free Replication & parallel replication ?

Hello Kristian,

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 1:51 PM, Kristian Nielsen <knielsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Rich Prohaska <prohaska7@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I suspect that the poor slave replication performance for optimistic
> > replication occurs because TokuDB does not implement the kill_query
> > handlerton function.  kill_handlerton gets called to resolve lock wait
> for
> > situations that occur when parallel replicating a small sysbench table.
> > InnoDB implements kill_query while TokuDB does not implement it.
>
> Possibly, but I'm not sure it's that important. The kill will be effective
> as soon as the wait is over.
>
> I'm thinking that it's just because my patch is incomplete - it only
> handles
> the case where transaction T1 goes to wait on T2 and T2 is already holding
> the lock. If the lock is later passed to T3 (while T1 is still waiting),
> then my patch doesn't handle killing T3. So T1 will need to wait for its
> lock wait timeout to trigger, and then it will be re-tried - and _then_ T3
> will be killed.
>
> At least it looks a bit like that is what is happening in your processlist
> output. But I'll need to do some tests to be sure. And I think I know how
> fix my patch, hopefully I'll have something in a day or two.

tokudb lock timeouts are resolving the replication stall.  unfortunately,
the tokudb lock timeout is 4 seconds, so the throughput is almost zero.

> >> when slave in conservative mode with 2 threads, the tokudb wait for
> >> callback is being called (i put in a "printf"), which implies a parallel
> >> lock conflict.  I assumed that conservative mode implies parallel
> execution
> >> of transactions that were group committed together, which I assumed
> would
> >> imply that these transactions were conflict free.  Obviously not the
> case.
>
> This is interesting. Is there somewhere I can read details of how TokuDB
> does lock waits? That would help me understand what is going on.

TokuFT implements pessimistic locking and 2 phase locking algorithms.  This
wiki describes locking and concurrency in a little more detail:
https://github.com/percona/tokudb-engine/wiki/Transactions-and-Concurrency.

> We actually have the same situation in InnoDB in some cases. For example:
>
>   CREATE TABLE t4 (a INT PRIMARY KEY, b INT, KEY b_idx(b)) ENGINE=InnoDB;
>   INSERT INTO t4 VALUES (1,NULL), (2,2), (3,NULL), (4,4), (5, NULL), (6,
> 6);
>   UPDATE t4 SET b=NULL WHERE a=6;
>   DELETE FROM t4 WHERE b <= 3;
>
> The UPDATE and DELETE may or may not conflict, depending on the order in
> which they run. So it is possible for them to group commit together on the
> master, but still conflict on the slave. Maybe something similar is
> possible
> in TokuDB?
>
> Another option is that some of the callbacks are false positives. Lock
> waits
> should only be reported if they are for locks that will be held until
> COMMIT. For example in InnoDB, there are shorter-lived locks on the
> auto-increment counter, and such locks should _not_ be reported.

Yes, I think they are false positives since the thd_report_wait_for API is
called but it does NOT call the THD::awake function.