Re: [Commits] 13b5098: MDEV-9531: GROUP_CONCAT with ORDER BY inside takes a lot of memory while it's executed

On 26.09.2016 19:03, Sergei Golubchik wrote:
Hi, Oleksandr!

On Sep 26, Oleksandr Byelkin wrote:
A hackish workaround could be to adjust tree->elements_limit (in
Item_func_group_concat::add) after each insertion. But in this case
it would be simpler to limit the tree by size (in bytes) and adjust
tree size after each insertion. What do you think about it?
I think that even for characters there is not direct correspondence
between bytes and number of characters... so it is possible to make
limit by bytes in case we have only strings  and put it as <length> *
<maximum bytes per symbol for given charset> (here better to talk to
Bar to ask if there is a pitfalls as difference in client/server/item
charsets (I think should not be)).

Also we have to take into account that we have key representation in
the tree so probably + 1 bytes for null (I am not sure).

It is worse problem (IMHO) is that it will mean constant
allocating/freeing memory (with limit by number of elements tree is
kind of freeze when it reach the limit). I am not sure if it is
serious problem.

I do not know more obstacles except above. And Limit by size is
already present in the tree, but it just free all tree and start from
beginning (so should be changed).
Yup. I thought about someting like that: besides TREE::memory_limit, we
add, say, TREE::memory_reset_to.

And when tree size reaches memory_limit, the tree is shrunk to
memory_reset_to. When memory_reset_to is 0, we get the old behavior,
full tree reset. If it's not 0, elements are removed one by one until
the tree is shrunk appropriately. This provides the backward-compatible
interface and solves the constant malloc/free issue that you've
mentioned above. I'd think memory_limit should be at least 2x
memory_reset_to.

Problems:

* removing elements one by one is not very fast, if memory_reset_to is
   much lower than memory_limit, it's faster to create a new tree and
   copy first N elements into it. I suppose with memory_limit being more
   than 3x memory_reset_to, new tree is already faster.
* element size is not the same as Item string value length (tree element
   is record image with varchar columns in it). To use correct strings
   value lengths, the upper code needs to correct tree allocated size
   after each insertion. And after each deletion (if elements will be
   deleted to reduce the tree size).
Also letting the tree growing more then it is needed also takes its tall, because tree should be rebalanced while it growth.