Re: [Commits] 02e74a5: MDEV-11700: MariaDB 10.2 cannot start on MySQL 5.7 datadir:

Hi Daniel!

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 at 04:08 Daniel Black <daniel.black@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> nit - its really MDEV-11170

Argh, thanks. That's always annoying to get right :)

> On 12/12/16 12:57, Vicențiu Ciorbaru wrote:
> > Hi Sergei!
> >
> > Can you please review this patch for MDEV-11700? Details presented in
> > the commit message. I'm not sure which solution we want.
> > Possible solutions:
> > A) have the user fix it by first starting the server with
> > --skip-grant-tables to avoid "mysql.user table is damaged", then run
> > mysql_upgrade, to fix the problem. Without this patch, this solution
> > fails at mysql_upgrade.
> > B) Have the server understand MySQL 5.7.6 + table format where the
> > Password column is missing.
> >
> > For 10.2 I've chosen solution A. Although this should probably also be
> > targeted for 10.1?
> > For 10.3, since we're planning on doing some authentication changes, we
> > can implement a variant of B.
>
> Without B or a population of the password column the authentication
> isn't migrated.

 Actually that's not quite true. We still have the authentication_string
and the plugin columns from MySQL. They will contain the password and it
will work as MariaDB understands that. I've specifically tested this with a
MySQL data dir locally.

Vicentiu