Re: [External] Re: RFC: new replication feature "per-engine mysql.gtid_slave pos"

Hi all,

On 9 March 2017 at 04:47, Will Fong <will.fong@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 4:58 PM, Kristian Nielsen
> > So to summarise
> >
> >  - Auto create mysql.gtid_slave_pos_{innodb,tokudb,myrocks} if a
> transaction
> >    is seen in one of those engines
> >
> >  - A --skip-gtid-auto-create-pos-table to disable this auto behaviour
> >
> >  - A stored procedure mysql.gtid_pos_add_engine() to facilitate manually
> >    adding an engine table.
> >
> > What do you think, does this sound ok? Suggestions for better ways?
>
> I like this idea very much!!!

I also like it very much.  Let me add my 2 cents: I
think skip-gtid-auto-create-pos-table should be enabled (skipping creation)
by default in the 1st release of the new "per-engine mysql.gtid_slave_pos"
feature.  This respects the "principle of least surprise" when upgrading to
a new version and could be changed in a next major version.  To complete
that, maybe adding some counters (statues) about:

   - number of transactions not spawning storage engine (could benefit the
   new feature),
   - number of cross storage engine transactions (needed XA, but exclusing
   mysql.gtid_slave_pos*)
   - number of transactions not spawning storage engine that updated
   a mysql.gtid_slave_pos in another SE
   (because skip-gtid-auto-create-pos-table=1)
   - maybe more...

Many thanks,

Jean-François Gagné
System Engineer @ Booking.com