Use Case

On IRC, waintroub_ asked me if I had a use case to show
what mariadb could gain from adding support for proxy protocol.

In a nutshell, it allows the mysql servers behind a proxy to
know what's the IP address of the client connecting to
the proxy. Without it, the backend servers will only see the IP
address of the proxy front-end. Thus making it not possible
to use the IP address of the clients for grants, or for logging,
query analysis, ...

Here's a post that has some graphics and more detail for these
user cases:

https://blog.haproxy.com/2017/03/24/using-haproxy-with-the-proxy-protocol-to-better-secure-your-database/

Hope this makes it clearer.

--josé