Re: header change in MariaDB 10.2.6 and mysqlclient python binding

Hi, Kazuhiko!

Thanks. This is now reported as https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-12950

> error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
>
> This is because the change in include/mysql/mysql.h.
>
> In MariaDB 10.2.5, it is same as mariadb-10.2.5/include/mysql.h in the source tree.
> In MariaDB 10.2.6, it is same as mariadb-10.2.6/libmariadb/include/mysql.h in the source tree.
>
> Is this change intentional ? Should I contact mysqlclient developer
> for further fix of this issue ?

Yes, it was intentional, one is supposed to use

  mysql_options(mysql, MYSQL_OPT_RECONNECT, ...);

this works both in libmysqlclient and in the new libmariadb and doesn't
depend on the internal MYSQL structure.

The effect of breaking python connector (and perl DBD-mysql) was
unintentional, though. At the moment I don't know what the fix will be -
e.g. we could temporarily restore mysql->reconnect. Or we could submit
patches to python and perl connectors to use MYSQL_OPT_RECONNECT.
Or both. Or something else.

Chief Architect MariaDB
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx