From: Sumit Lakra <sumitlakradev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 1:04 AM
Subject: GSoC Final Evaluation
To: Daniel Black <daniel.black@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Lindström <
jan.lindstrom@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

I went through the code that the InnoDB background threads use to pick
tasks and execute them, in detail. This is how they seem to work.

The reader/writer threads are passed an integer which acts as a segment.
They then call fil_aio_wait(segment) which calls os_aio_handler(segment,
&node, &message, &type). The control then goes to the
os_aio_simulated_handler(segment, m1, m2, request) where the code gets more
complicated with AIO arrays and slots. It gets harder to understand how
they choose their tasks. It is definitely not a simple queue structure from
which they pick their tasks. Also, which buffer pool the task is related to
can only be figured out quite later.. based on the value of m2, which
stores the address of a bpage. A simple queue could have been easily
replaced with multiple queues, i.e. a queue per numa-node like we had once
discussed on IRC. Lastly, all these procedures are common for log threads
as well.

Another thing, you mentioned more than once you wanted the reader threads
to look for a bpage in their local nodes before looking them up in other
nodes, but they use the bpage structure itself like I mentioned. Obviously
neither of us had a proper understanding of how InnoDB worked in these
aspects when we started the project. These threads seem to operate on
bpages mostly rather than buf_pools, which makes numa mapping even harder
(buf_pools to numa nodes would comparatively be easier), but is definitely
more efficient than buf_pools and hence shouldn't be changed.

Then again there were cases when the tasks assigned to the background
threads were done by other server threads as well, especially in case of
flushing, but I successfully restricted them to their nodes. If we were to
create queues per node, which queues would these other threads work on.

In other words the way in which InnoDB was initially written and expanded
has made it significantly difficult to be adapted for explicit NUMA
support. It wouldn't just require restructuring and changing the way these
threads use parameters, pick tasks etc, but may also require re-ordering
the order in which they are executed. For example, the background threads
are created before the user threads, and trying to use the NUMA node from
user THD later on would mean more system calls and probably thread
migrations.

When you added the task in the spreadsheet, you were right to anticipate
that it could require large cleanup of the InnoDB structure, but I am
beginning to think it will be way more complicated. Also, as you once
mentioned that most architectures have 2 to 4 NUMA nodes. No doubt, if we
could implement a support for NUMA architectuure such that InnoDB would
make the best use out of it, there would be a performance difference but it
would still be quite negligible in a very fast computer, and I really don't
think making such big changes to InnoDB would be worth the effort and risk.
Trying to bring a major change to a working and verified code (written by
someone else) is more error-prone than adding some modular code and
functions to support a new feature. I hope you agree.

Last but not least, if you think it can still be done and have a idea, I
will be more than willing to attempt it. After all, GSoC has only got me
started to contribute to open-source and this evaluation won't be the end
of it. And since there's no other database software out there which
supports NUMA (let's ignore numa-interleave) and since I was the first to
start working on this, I will be really proud to see it through to the end.

Some Evaluation stuff :
 I see only one text field in the form for a link to the work done, and it
takes a single url. Reserving this for the github link, where do I add a
link to the spreadsheet or documentation ?

 Assuming you have already verified the work done so far, I will be
creating a pull request shortly, so I can add whether it was merged or not,
in the evaluation.

Thanking You,
Sumit

> I went through the code that the InnoDB background threads use to pick
> tasks and execute them, in detail. This is how they seem to work.
>
> The reader/writer threads are passed an integer which acts as a segment.
> They then call fil_aio_wait(segment) which calls os_aio_handler(segment,
> &node, &message, &type). The control then goes to the
> os_aio_simulated_handler(segment, m1, m2, request) where the code gets
> more complicated with AIO arrays and slots. It gets harder to understand
> how they choose their tasks. It is definitely not a simple queue
> structure from which they pick their tasks. Also, which buffer pool the
> task is related to can only be figured out quite later.. based on the
> value of m2, which stores the address of a bpage.

> A simple queue could
> have been easily replaced with multiple queues, i.e. a queue per
> numa-node like we had once discussed on IRC.

Yes, you know where requests are created and where the job message ends
up so you should be able to create an implementation. Even if it doesn't
preserver the existing behaviour it should be enough to test it.

> Lastly, all these
> procedures are common for log threads as well.

relevance?

> Another thing, you mentioned more than once you wanted the reader

SQL threads? Or is this the same thing?

> threads to look for a bpage in their local nodes before looking them up
> in other nodes, but they use the bpage structure itself like I
> mentioned
> Obviously neither of us had a proper understanding of how
> InnoDB worked in these aspects when we started the project.

No project knows all the details.

> These
> threads seem to operate on bpages mostly rather than buf_pools, which
> makes numa mapping even harder

You could add a node_id to the class buf_page_t?

> (buf_pools to numa nodes would
> comparatively be easier), but is definitely more efficient than
> buf_pools and hence shouldn't be changed.

> Then again there were cases when the tasks assigned to the background
> threads were done by other server threads as well, especially in case of
> flushing, but I successfully restricted them to their nodes. If we were
> to create queues per node, which queues would these other threads work on.

Yes, which is why this issue was raised with you months ago.

> In other words the way in which InnoDB was initially written and
> expanded has made it significantly difficult to be adapted for explicit
> NUMA support.

The split of buffer pool instances was in appreciation that there there
are hot locks causes by a large number of threads.

It just needed more thought than implementing a few thread bindings. I'm
sorry you though it was that easy.

It wouldn't just require restructuring and changing the
> way these threads use parameters, pick tasks etc,

You've changed very few parameters so far.

https://github.com/MariaDB/server/compare/10.2...theGodlessLakra:numa_one

 but may also require
> re-ordering the order in which they are executed.

I can't think of one example of this.

> For example, the
> background threads are created before the user threads, and trying to
> use the NUMA node from user THD later on would mean more system calls
> and probably thread migrations.

Huh, what? "may..require..(bad design)".

Which is why a mapping of THD to known background threads per node was
desired, to avoid syscall thread migrations.
> When you added the task in the spreadsheet, you were right to anticipate
> that it could require large cleanup of the InnoDB structure, but I am
> beginning to think it will be way more complicated.

I mentioned in on 2017-07-10 too
(http://marialog.archivist.info/2017-07-10.txt), too and you said you'd
give it a try.

> Also, as you once
> mentioned that most architectures have 2 to 4 NUMA nodes. No doubt, if
> we could implement a support for NUMA architectuure such that InnoDB
> would make the best use out of it, there would be a performance
> difference but it would still be quite negligible in a very fast
> computer,

Cross node cache-coherency takes significant clock cycles compared to
local access. What you'd end up with is a system that has idle time that
can't be used.

By finishing this task this could be measured. local/remote perf access
can be measure (perhaps even with fake_numa).
https://joemario.github.io/blog/2016/09/01/c2c-blog/

> and I really don't think making such big changes to InnoDB
> would be worth the effort and risk.

There is no gain without risk. Small changes with careful review,
running full tests between them is they way large changes are made low risk.

> Trying to bring a major change to a
> working and verified code (written by someone else) is more error-prone
> than adding some modular code and functions to support a new feature. I
> hope you agree.

When developing you are always developing for current and future use. As
such architectural changes need to be commiserate to the functional
changes. Jan and I have placed emphasis on writing test cases. These
ensure that changes.

> Last but not least, if you think it can still be done and have a idea, I
> will be more than willing to attempt it. After all, GSoC has only got me
> started to contribute to open-source and this evaluation won't be the
> end of it.

> And since there's no other database software out there which
> supports NUMA (let's ignore numa-interleave) and since I was the first
> to start working on this

There is, found
https://github.com/aerospike/aerospike-server/blob/master/cf/src/hardware.c
the other day. Wouldn't have helped much as it has a different
architecture and getting on top of one was hard enough.

>, I will be really proud to see it through to
> the end.

This week looks like you've done one commit that is largely a revert
that Jan asked for. You have slowed down considerably.

> Some Evaluation stuff :
>  I see only one text field in the form for a link to the work done, and
> it takes a single url. Reserving this for the github link, where do I
> add a link to the spreadsheet or documentation ?
>
>  Assuming you have already verified the work done so far, I will be
> creating a pull request shortly, so I can add whether it was merged or
> not, in the evaluation.

Looks like the fake_numa stuff is incomplete. Pinning of background
threads looks odd as they aren't big allocators of memory and aren't
associated with SQL threads/buffer pool instance nodes.

I have looked though it. As a pull request 60 commits with 26(?) of them
fixing prior commits will look messy for anyone trying to look at the
changes. If you are up for trying to clean it up please give it a go.
Doing it in a copied repository is a good idea as you've seen before it
can get a bit hard to keep track of.

> Thanking You,
> Sumit

> > I went through the code that the InnoDB background threads use to pick
> > tasks and execute them, in detail. This is how they seem to work.
> >
> > The reader/writer threads are passed an integer which acts as a segment.
> > They then call fil_aio_wait(segment) which calls os_aio_handler(segment,
> > &node, &message, &type). The control then goes to the
> > os_aio_simulated_handler(segment, m1, m2, request) where the code gets
> > more complicated with AIO arrays and slots. It gets harder to understand
> > how they choose their tasks. It is definitely not a simple queue
> > structure from which they pick their tasks. Also, which buffer pool the
> > task is related to can only be figured out quite later.. based on the
> > value of m2, which stores the address of a bpage.
>
> > A simple queue could
> > have been easily replaced with multiple queues, i.e. a queue per
> > numa-node like we had once discussed on IRC.
>
> Yes, you know where requests are created and where the job message ends
> up so you should be able to create an implementation. Even if it doesn't
> preserver the existing behaviour it should be enough to test it.

I am sorry I am unable to create an implementation. It's not like I don't
want to. I just can't completely understand how it has been implemented
currently. I have tried to follow the code before, and I did again the
whole day today, but I can't come up with an idea at all.

> > Lastly, all these
> > procedures are common for log threads as well.
>
> relevance?

The reader/writer/log threads all start by executing fil_aio_wait(segment),
in srv0start.cc

> > Another thing, you mentioned more than once you wanted the reader
>
> SQL threads? Or is this the same thing?
>
> > threads to look for a bpage in their local nodes before looking them up
> > in other nodes, but they use the bpage structure itself like I
> > mentioned
> > Obviously neither of us had a proper understanding of how
> > InnoDB worked in these aspects when we started the project.
>
> No project knows all the details.
>
> > These
> > threads seem to operate on bpages mostly rather than buf_pools, which
> > makes numa mapping even harder
>
> You could add a node_id to the class buf_page_t?

Okay, but how to use it ? where ? In which functions ?

> > (buf_pools to numa nodes would
> > comparatively be easier), but is definitely more efficient than
> > buf_pools and hence shouldn't be changed.
>

> > Then again there were cases when the tasks assigned to the background
> > threads were done by other server threads as well, especially in case of
> > flushing, but I successfully restricted them to their nodes. If we were
> > to create queues per node, which queues would these other threads work
> on.
>
> Yes, which is why this issue was raised with you months ago.
>
> > In other words the way in which InnoDB was initially written and
> > expanded has made it significantly difficult to be adapted for explicit
> > NUMA support.
>
> The split of buffer pool instances was in appreciation that there there
> are hot locks causes by a large number of threads.
>
> It just needed more thought than implementing a few thread bindings. I'm
> sorry you though it was that easy.

The split of buffer pool is not problematic to NUMA implementation. Its the
task queues for the background threads that's wrecking my brain.

> It wouldn't just require restructuring and changing the
> > way these threads use parameters, pick tasks etc,
>

> You've changed very few parameters so far.
>
> https://github.com/MariaDB/server/compare/10.2...theGodlessLakra:numa_one
>
>  but may also require
> > re-ordering the order in which they are executed.
>
> I can't think of one example of this.

> > For example, the
> > background threads are created before the user threads, and trying to
> > use the NUMA node from user THD later on would mean more system calls
> > and probably thread migrations.
>
> Huh, what? "may..require..(bad design)".

One way (a really bad design), would be to create background threads when a
request is made by a SQL thread, and then bind it to the node depending on
the request i.e. the buffer pool instance in which the associated bpage
belongs, which would mean more system calls and migrations. Obviously a
very bad design.

> Which is why a mapping of THD to known background threads per node was
> desired, to avoid syscall thread migrations.

The SQL threads were expected to be bound to numa nodes, which I did, but I
can't think of how to map them to background threads. Can you think of a
way to do this ? Let me know how you think this can be done. I will
implement it asap.

> When you added the task in the spreadsheet, you were right to anticipate
> > that it could require large cleanup of the InnoDB structure, but I am
> > beginning to think it will be way more complicated.
>
> I mentioned in on 2017-07-10 too
> (http://marialog.archivist.info/2017-07-10.txt), too and you said you'd
> give it a try.
>
> > Also, as you once
> > mentioned that most architectures have 2 to 4 NUMA nodes. No doubt, if
> > we could implement a support for NUMA architectuure such that InnoDB
> > would make the best use out of it, there would be a performance
> > difference but it would still be quite negligible in a very fast
> > computer,
>
> Cross node cache-coherency takes significant clock cycles compared to
> local access. What you'd end up with is a system that has idle time that
> can't be used.
>
> By finishing this task this could be measured. local/remote perf access
> can be measure (perhaps even with fake_numa).
> https://joemario.github.io/blog/2016/09/01/c2c-blog/
>
> > and I really don't think making such big changes to InnoDB
> > would be worth the effort and risk.
>
> There is no gain without risk. Small changes with careful review,
> running full tests between them is they way large changes are made low
> risk.

Agreed, but I honestly can't make out the heads and tails of the changes
that will be required to replace the present task queue with a
queue-per-node structure :(

> > Trying to bring a major change to a
> > working and verified code (written by someone else) is more error-prone
> > than adding some modular code and functions to support a new feature. I
> > hope you agree.
>
> When developing you are always developing for current and future use. As
> such architectural changes need to be commiserate to the functional
> changes. Jan and I have placed emphasis on writing test cases. These
> ensure that changes.

Like I said, I am not unwilling to complete this task. But I can't even
think of where to start. Since, the two of you have greater experience with
InnoDB, maybe you should give it a shot. You will definitely understand the
present structure better than I do. And if you can come up with even a
verbal solution that sounds like it could work, I will implement it asap.

> > Last but not least, if you think it can still be done and have a idea, I
> > will be more than willing to attempt it. After all, GSoC has only got me
> > started to contribute to open-source and this evaluation won't be the
> > end of it.
>

> > And since there's no other database software out there which
> > supports NUMA (let's ignore numa-interleave) and since I was the first
> > to start working on this
>
> There is, found
> https://github.com/aerospike/aerospike-server/blob/master/cf
> /src/hardware.c
> the other day. Wouldn't have helped much as it has a different
> architecture and getting on top of one was hard enough.
>
> >, I will be really proud to see it through to
> > the end.
>
> This week looks like you've done one commit that is largely a revert
> that Jan asked for. You have slowed down considerably.

You have a good reason to be upset at me and I am not complaining. But
although it doesn't look from Github like much work due to no changes, I
spent a good deal of time brainstorming on the implementation of the first
task from the spreadsheet under the "should be done" title, unfortunately
to no success.

> > Some Evaluation stuff :
> >  I see only one text field in the form for a link to the work done, and
> > it takes a single url. Reserving this for the github link, where do I
> > add a link to the spreadsheet or documentation ?
> >
> >  Assuming you have already verified the work done so far, I will be
> > creating a pull request shortly, so I can add whether it was merged or
> > not, in the evaluation.
>
> Looks like the fake_numa stuff is incomplete. Pinning of background
> threads looks odd as they aren't big allocators of memory and aren't
> associated with SQL threads/buffer pool instance nodes.

Fixed the fake numa test which was failing in non-debug builds. Most of the
memory allocation is done during the buffer pool creation, and these have
been managed properly while creating buffer pools per numa node. What other
allocators of memory do you wish to be managed ? and how ? (Non-pinned
threads should probably be allowed to allocate memory from any node)

> I have looked though it. As a pull request 60 commits with 26(?) of them
> fixing prior commits will look messy for anyone trying to look at the
> changes. If you are up for trying to clean it up please give it a go.
> Doing it in a copied repository is a good idea as you've seen before it
> can get a bit hard to keep track of.

I spent all day trying to think of any way to implement a queue-per-node
thing, and I confess I failed to come up with one. So, in stead of spending
more time on that, I will work on migrating these commits to a new branch
today. And I also urge you to give this task a try yourselves.

Thanks,
Sumit