GSoC 2018 Student Self Introduction & Question

Hello everybody,

I am a first year graduate in Peking University major in math. I started to
take part in algorithm contests at grade 7 so I have a lot of programming
experience and I am very well trained in algorithms and data structures. In
my childhood memory MySQL was the most popular DBMS choice for personal
website (LAMP stack). However it was acquired by Oracle as I grew up.
In this year's GSoC projects, `optimizer trace' interested me particularly.
It would be great for MariaDB to have this functionality. This
functionality is already implemented in MySQL. So my question is, can I
read MySQL's source code implementing this function? Would that cause legal
problems? Thanks very much!

Regards,

Zhang Shuai.

Follow ups