Re: unbundle RocksDB

On Sat, Jun 09, 2018 at 05:49:15PM +0300, Sergey Petrunia wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 11:21:34AM +0200, Michal Schorm wrote:
> > Since we have a rocksdb package ready in Fedora, I tried to unbundle it,
> > using the system package instead.
> >
> > I wasn't successful though.
> > I haven't found any CMake argument which seemed related and from the build
> > log it seems, the code tries to link against the static libraries in any
> > case.
> >
> > Before I'll start to dig further, I'm stopping by on this list, making sure
> > it is possible.
> >  - is it currently supported?
> >  - have I overlooked any related CMake argument?
>
> It is not currently supported.
>
> MariaDB gets MyRocks (and RocksDB) from the upstream:
> https://github.com/facebook/mysql-5.6/. Both upstream and MariaDB have RocksDB
> as a submodule and so are tied to a particular revision of RocksDB.
>
> Using a different revision of RocksDB will typically work, but
> - it is not a tested combination
> - it will not necessarily work, especially if you use an older version of
> RocksDB than the one that MyRocks used. RocksDB development continues, so
> there may be implicit dependencies that MyRocks at revision X requires
> RocksDB to be at least at revision Y.

Also discussed this with the MyRocks upstream. Take-aways:
- A confirmation that unbundling is not a good idea.
- Sometimes, RocksDB features get deprecated/removed. So, there may also exist
implicit dependencies in form "MyRocks at revision X requires that RocksDB it
is using is *at most* revision Y".

BR
Sergei Petrunia, Software Developer
MariaDB Corporation | Skype: sergefp | Blog: http://s.petrunia.net/blog