Re: GSOC 2019 proposal draft

Hi Alexey,

Good job on picking MariaDB as your GSOC 2019 organization! :-)

Whilst it is a very good start, Sergei is right, to make your application
stand out, you will have
to get creative and prove the organization staff that you'll be able to do
a great job as a GSOC student.
MariaDB Foundation and surely the other organizations participating in GSOC
2019 would love to accept all the
students that submit a proposal, but most of the times we are constrained
by the number of mentors available,
resources and funding so we have to be selective.

Here's a list of what I think can help you boost your chances:
  - Show interest for the project you're applying to, but also for our
organization. Sign up on Zulip and IRC if you
    haven't already and get in touch with the community. Don't be shy, ask
questions!
    You are already on the good track here.
  - Prove the organization that you can adapt to the new codebase and that
you're able to learn.
    Follow the tips here
<https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/google-summer-of-code-2019/#where-to-start>.
Again ask for help, we are aware our codebase is not the easiest to grasp.
  - Next step is to prove you will be able to tackle the project you
picked. Try to research as much as possible
    (ask the mentor, read docs, read code,..) and come up with a technical
description of how you'd approach
    (and maybe implement) the project. Include this in your proposal as
well.
  - The timeline on your proposal should be derived from the previous step.
  - Show curiosity, initiative, be hard working and open minded.

Hope this makes the process a bit more transparent to you and let you focus
on your proposal.

Robert