Re: Please review a patch for MDEV-19284 and MDEV-19285 (instant ALTER)

Hi Marko,

Thanks for your review.

On 4/23/19 4:37 PM, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
Bar, thank you for the revision.

I ran all tests and found a regression for ROW_FORMAT=REDUNDANT, in
the test innodb.instant_alter_charset,redundant. We should allow any
extension of VARCHAR maximum length (in bytes) for
ROW_FORMAT=REDUNDANT. The test attempts to enlarge the column from
50*3 to 200*3 bytes. That cannot work for other ROW_FORMAT in InnoDB,
but it does for ROW_FORMAT=REDUNDANT.

I sent an update for this piece of tests (as suggested by Eugene)
in my previous email.

Also, please check the spelling once more. I found "Uncode-1.1" in a comment.

Fixed. Thanks for noticing this.

See also the Description of MDEV-18584. I’d want to allow a few more
instantaneous conversion of CHAR columns in InnoDB.

Right, we could do this, in a separate commit.

I agree that the (table->file->ha_table_flags() &
HA_EXTENDED_TYPES_CONVERSION) is a bit ugly and could be replaced with
something more descriptive.

I agree. Let's do it in a separate commit as well.

Thanks.

Marko