Re: c91ec05e01b: MDEV-20865 Store foreign key info in TABLE_SHARE

Hi, Aleksey!

On Dec 18, Aleksey Midenkov wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 7:23 PM Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Having local class interfaces is easier to maintain. Additional
> > > API layer is development costs overhead.
> >
> > That's neglectable, thd_make_lex_string() needs next to no
> > maintainance.
>
> Particularly to this function I don't like its name, semantics and
> signature.

As far as the service is concerned, "don't like" is too weak an
argument, changing a service comes with a compatibility cost.

But for the internal server use we can change thd->make_lex_string(),
indeed.

> They are over-complicated considering its frequent use. I could
> justify such function if it was used rarely, but when you have 8 calls
> of it subsequently -- it is ugly. And it takes time to check the
> signature because it is not clear what is NULL and what is TRUE. I
> mean you periodically have to check it and this is multiplied by
> infinite future, so yes, it takes time.

Yes, it could've been better, I agree. But see above.

> Now, to the THD::make_clex_string() and THD::make_lex_string(). These
> methods should not be in THD at all. Its monolithic design with
> million of different methods looks to me as a huge mess accumulated
> across long time.  There was no need to create proxies when there
> would not be such a large class in the first place.

They could be methods of a MEM_ROOT. One shouldn't need a complete THD
to allocate memory from a memroot.

VP of MariaDB Server Engineering
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx