Re: RFC: incompatible changes to mtr debugging flags

Hi, Vladislav!

On Jan 27, Vladislav Vaintroub wrote:

> Hi Serg,
>
> vc_express   is historical, does not exist eanymore. I’m not aware vc ever
> existed

I'll remove them both, no problem

> I’d  propose to only have a few options ( –debugger, --server-debug,
> --boot-debug, --client-debug, --manual-debug) , rather than 4-5 options
> for each debugger, as per Occam’s razor.

that'd be too much re-learning. I am used to --gdb (and I suspect many
are).

I thought about making --help output shorter by not listing windows
debuggers on linux and vice versa. Or even not lising anything that's
not installed.

I thought it might be good to list, say, --valgrind even if valgrind is
not available, so that a user would see that she could install valgrind
and use it with mtr.

But I don't have a strong opinion about it, I can easily make --help to
skip unusable entries, if desired.

> A reasonable choice of default debugger can be easily made per
> platform (e.g vsjitdebugger preferred to windbg on Windows , and gdb
> on anything else preferred to llvm debugger). Then  –debugger can be
> omitted in most cases.

I don't want to open this flame war :) ddd vs gdb vs lldb?
It's reasonable to expect that reasonable means different things to
different people. I prefer vim and gdb, monty likes xemacs and ddd.

My main question for you is can you live with

  ./mtr --devenv

instead of

  ./mtr --debugger=devenv

?